Saturday, September 04, 2004

"Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood " & "Persepolis 2" by Marjane Satrapi

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood and Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return
When we were showing these books to some friends, one laughed and said "Is that her real name?". I didn't understand until they explained that it meant something like "an unstable government" [did you see me spell it right!?!:)]. Then them and my parents got into a long and slightly interesting discussion about since it came from somewhere where the story took place it probably evolved from that name...
blah.
I don't really care for long discussions. But it didn't help that it was about words either. School was fast approching and I was to start having a whole class for spelling and grammar. I also don't care for these books much, for various reasons:
1. I don't like depressing stories that actually happened to real people.
2. People, real people, died. I hate the fact of death; yes, i know it's inevitable; yes, I know I can't escape it; and no, I don't want any lectures on the subject.
3. She cursed. A little girl cursed, A little girl younger than me, and the people around her, cursing like I had never seen/heard in any location, from school to any other place[I once saw a fight at school].

My mothers rating: Wonderful. check out the full review
here for the first book, here for the sequel.

My rating:
*** 3/5 [c-]

Age level: young adult [it is not my right to place an age group for these books]

No comments: